Thursday, July 17, 2008

101

I walk two routes to work.  One, for when I actually make it out of the house at 9AM- and the other for when it's between 9:15-9:20 and I check the oven clock on the way out and seem to misplace everything (keys, iphone, wallet)... which I most recently found out is actually equal in distance, if not slightly longer (maybe I just walked faster that route once and distinguished it as "fast").  Beside the point.  The point is, on the slower walks, I've completely realized that the 101 Dalmations theory holds true.  The one where dogs can totally look like their owners.

For example:  I have noticed a duo so fit for each other that it makes me want to cry.  I actually have had mini-fantasies (mind out of the gutter) of following the two on their daily "adventures" and just photographing them.  

The owner: 90-year old man. Grey hair. Wrinkled. Age-spots. Hunched over so far that he looks like he's bending in half.  He walks with a cane, wears glasses, sweaters - even in the 93degree weather.  This man walks SO slowly that literally a turtle missing a leg and half blind would look like speedy gonzales next to this man.  And I mean it simply to paint a literal picture.  

While you may think that his companion, little ugly shaggy dog might be pulling this man along, I KID YOU NOT, this dog is walking 50x slower than the old man.  The leash is always completely extended behind him, and this dog NEEDS the blind turtle to push him along.  Grey whiskers, can dogs GET old person wrinkles?  It seems so.  This dog is probably the oldest dog that has ever lived.  I'm not sure of the conversion, but he's got to be approaching 300 in dog years.

If you've seen these two out on the streets, you know what I'm talking about.  I love them, and it makes me so happy and completely breaks my heart everytime I see them.  Through thick and thin, these two have seemed to be there for one another, and have given the "growing old" together a whole new perspective.




No comments: